Your Wedding

posted 12 Jun 2011, 15:46 by A Clarke   [ updated 13 Jun 2018, 13:25 by Lisa O'Neill ]

I want to get married - what do I do?  

Organising Your Wedding

The first step is to talk to the priest in your parish or email the sacristy - This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it .  The wedding usually takes place in the parish of the bride.  It is a good idea to decide on and book the date and time well in advance.  It is important to note that in the Dublin Archdiocese wedding are not permitted on Sundays or Holydays of Obligation, nor during the Easter Tridium.

A minimum of  three months notice of the intended wedding is required in the case of those over 18 years of age and six months for those under 18 years.


Civil Law Requirements

The Family Law Act 1995 requires couples to give a minimum of three months to the State of their intention to marry. Once you have booked the Church, it is no harm to send this notification even one or two years in advance of your wedding. Without the notification to the State, the marriage will not be valid in civil law. A form can be got from the sacristy or from the local Registrar. The address is Registrar of Marriages, Room 1, Joyce House, 8-11 Lombard Street East, Dublin 2. 

The phone number is 635 40 00.


Pre-Marriage Course.

We strongly advise all couples to consider a pre-marriage course. They are run by married couples and are very practical and out of which you will be enriched. 'ACCORD' run courses and can be contacted at 478 44 00. Milltown College also organize courses and can be contacted at 269 84 11.


Documents needed for your Wedding.

1.      Each of you will need a new Baptismal Certificate (issued by the Church where you were baptized, within 6 months of your wedding) and a Certificate of Confirmation from the Church where you were confirmed.


2.      Letter of Freedom: If you lived more than 6 months in any other parish since you were sixteen years of age, you will need a Letter of Freedom.


3.      Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Form: The priest from your Parish district will fill out this form with you.


It is very important that all these documents should be ready at least one month before your Wedding Day.